History of the Silver Comet Trail
The Silver Comet Trail was built over an abandoned rail line. The company Seaboard Air Line originally used the rail line for a train called the Silver Comet, which was a luxury passenger service. The Silver Comet ran from 1947 - 1969.
After passenger service was discontinued, this portion of the railroad continued to be used for freight until 1989, when the rail line closed.
In 1992, The Georgia Department of Transportation bought the closed rail line that ran through Cobb, Paulding, and Polk counties from CSX. Construction of the Silver Comet Trail began in Smyrna in 1998 over a 12.8-mile section.
Today the Silver Comet Trail stretches 61.5 miles from Smyrna to Esom Hill.
The Silver Comet Trail connects to the west to the Chief Ladiga Trail in Alabama, which stretches for another 33 miles, making the two trails combined one of the longest paved pedestrian paths in the country.